Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Raven


I was scanning over some notes I had on My Book and Heart Shall never Part and I came across one note where I wrote that in the movie it is said that the "Raven was the master of Capital words." I find this interesting because I am taking a class right now called Studies in a Major Author where we are concentrating on a Native American writer, Louise Erdrich, who comes from the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe Indians in North Dakota. This is an interesting connection in that the raven is a key figure in Native storytelling and tales. Extraordinary beings like the Raven emphasize the importance of a symbiotic relationship between humans and nature. I feel this would help to expand my some what weak answer early on my blog on what is nature, child, book... I feel this is what nature is, something created by mankind but is only inherently real when the relationship between the mind and the made-up (nature) is in a type of symbiosis or state of grace. I think this statement yields to the reason why it is so hard to define a term like nature because we (by we I am stating anyone who is growing up in the age of technology like we are) aren't living as symbiotic as we once were so to find this relationship is harder than finding the relationship between nature and man that doesn't work. I am regressing, I feel that the Raven is an important figure in any society, yet known for his trickery the Raven is also known for knowledge and wisdom, something I feel more closely connected to a Raven than with trickery. So in Native stories the Raven is almost seen as a master of capital words, but instead of capital words he is the master of trickery, of delight.

No comments: