Monday, November 17, 2008

Scharfanugal

I think one of the most enjoyable and fascinating things to me about reading Pullman's trilogy (or any young adult literature for that matter) is the use of made up or 'new' words. Here are a few: aerodock, anbaric (a type of electricity or power), and since I started writing this blog I found an interesting page on the terminology of His Dark Materials, here it is; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials_terminology. I like how Pullman says things, and not just what he is saying. He creates a world that is different; one that is strange to the everyday person, yet because it is different it stimulates the brain to a greater extent than an everyday read. We don't need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts: we need books, time, and silence. 'Thou shalt not' is soon forgotten, but 'Once upon a time' lasts forever.

* Philip Pullman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John it's Kyle.
I'm just trying to get a hold of you, I didn't get any emails and I just sent you one. Don't worry, you probably won't get it.

My number is 406.672.4137
give me a call and we can sort all this out.

thanks